The Queen missed Remembrance Sunday for the first time in 22 years, leading to concerns for her health.
Queen Elizabeth spent a night in hospital last month and had been advised to rest for two weeks. Although she was expecting to attend the Cenotaph Remembrance service in London to pay respects to those who died at war.
Buckingham Palace said:
‘The Queen, having sprained her back, has decided this morning with great regret that she will not be able to attend today’s Remembrance Sunday Service at the Cenotaph
‘Her Majesty is disappointed that she will miss the service.
‘As in previous years, a wreath will be laid on Her Majesty’s behalf by the Prince of Wales.
‘His Royal Highness, along with the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra will be present at the Cenotaph today as planned.’
The Queen is said to be ‘disappointed’ she was unable to attend.