Human Remains found 4 Months after Submarine Imploded on Dive Down to Titanic


Human remains have been discovered four months after the tragic implosion of the Titan submarine during a deep dive to the Titanic. The vessel, which descended into the Atlantic Ocean, experienced a catastrophic implosion, resulting in the loss of the entire crew. The victims included Hamish Harding, Shahzada Dawood, Suleman Dawood (Shahzada’s teenage son), French explorer Paul-Henri Nargeole, and Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate. The Coast Guard has now successfully recovered remaining debris, including presumed human remains, from the wreckage site.

The recovery mission was conducted under an agreement with the U.S. Navy and served as a follow-up to the initial recovery operations performed on the ocean floor, approximately 1,600 feet (488 meters) from the Titanic’s location. Additional presumed human remains were carefully retrieved from within Titan’s debris, and these remains will be subjected to analysis by U.S. medical professionals.

The Coast Guard had previously retrieved presumed human remains along with parts of the Titan when the debris field was located at a depth of 12,500 feet (3,800 meters). Investigations suggest that the Titan imploded during its descent into the deep waters of the North Atlantic on June 18.

Captain John Noble, a sea captain, gave a poignant interview to Sky News earlier this year, offering a somber perspective on the fate of the Titan victims. He likened their resting place to that of the thousands of Titanic passengers who tragically perished when the famous ship struck an iceberg and sank in the North Atlantic Sea in April 1912. Captain Noble expressed doubts about the feasibility and cost of recovering the victims, given the immense depths of the ocean and the significant expenses involved.

The multiday search that followed Titan’s implosion garnered worldwide attention, as the submersible had embarked on a mission to view the British passenger liner that had sunk in 1912. The U.S. Coast Guard’s Marine Board of Investigation collaborated with the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board and the Transportation Safety Board of Canada during the salvage operation. International investigative agencies have also been involved, working together to schedule a joint review of the evidence in preparation for forensic testing.

While the Marine Board of Investigation continues its analysis and witness interviews for an upcoming public hearing on the tragedy, OceanGate, the vessel’s operator, has since ceased operations. One of the fatalities in the implosion was Stockton Rush, the pilot of the submersible and CEO of the company.

Prior to the incident, Karl Stanley, a Honduran submarine tour operator, had identified several safety concerns with the vessel. He expressed his mounting apprehension regarding Stockton Rush’s dismissive attitude toward passenger safety. Despite his warnings and requests for safety certificates, his concerns were ignored. Stanley was particularly troubled by the lack of a GPS system on the 22-foot submersible, its reliance on guidance from the mothership above, and the use of an Xbox-style controller, which he deemed unsuitable for operating the vessel. Concerns raised by David Lochridge, the former Director of Marine Operations for the Titan, were also dismissed. Stanley was dismayed by Rush’s attitude, describing a culture of silencing and excommunication toward anyone raising safety concerns within the company.

Leave a Reply