Boy Left Permanently Blind and Unable to Walk or Speak After Horrific Alcohol Hazing Incident

Boy Left Permanently Blind and Unable to Walk or Speak After Horrific Alcohol Hazing Incident
Credit: Good Morning America

Danny Santulli, a former student at the University of Missouri, has faced life-altering consequences following a fraternity hazing incident that left him permanently blind, unable to speak or walk. The incident, which took place in October 2021, involved excessive forced alcohol consumption during his initiation into the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.

Santulli was compelled to drink a dangerously high amount of alcohol, including a 1.75-liter bottle of Tito’s vodka and beer funneled through a tube. The aftermath was catastrophic, leading to him passing out and suffering severe brain damage due to prolonged oxygen deprivation. By the time fraternity members realized the severity of his condition and transported him to the hospital, it was too late to prevent long-term damage. At the hospital, his blood alcohol content was measured at an alarming 0.486, significantly higher than the legal limit.

The consequences of the hazing extended beyond his immediate health concerns. Santulli now requires round-the-clock care, a service that has placed a substantial financial burden on his family, with medical bills expected to exceed $2 million.


Legal repercussions for those involved have begun to materialize. Ryan P. Delanty, one of the fraternity members responsible, has pleaded guilty to supplying liquor to a minor and misdemeanor hazing. He faces a recommended sentence of six months in jail followed by six months of house arrest. Additionally, Thomas Shultz and other fraternity brothers have faced legal consequences, including jail time and probation, for their roles in the event.

The incident has sparked significant legal action, with Santulli’s family filing a civil lawsuit against the fraternity and 23 of its members. The case was settled out of court in 2022, resulting in the fraternity’s closure.

This tragic event has highlighted the dangerous and sometimes deadly practices that can occur within university fraternity cultures, prompting a broader discussion about the need for stringent regulations and oversight to prevent similar incidents in the future.